AnsweredAssumed Answered

Disable auto enter when updating looked up fields

Question asked by ak_crux on Apr 27, 2018
Latest reply on Apr 27, 2018 by DanielShanahan

I have a solution which contains a table of about 350,000 records. I need to add a field to the main table which will contain a looked up value. I am using a looked up value as opposed to a calculated field because of the obvious performance benefit.

The problem is that when you first define a looked up field in a table with existing data it is empty and so you have to perform a relookup.  The relookup causes other fields in the table to auto update (such as the last user and last modification time).

I would like to know if there is a workaround to allow the relookup without triggering the auto enter.

The only thing I have found to work is turning off the auto-enter properties of the fields at issue, then running the lookup, then turning back on.  This works but is clearly not ideal.

I have tried making the new field be a calculated field then turning the calculation off, but this requires the calculation result to be stored, I can't make the calculation be stored because it depends on a related field.

Any suggestions?

Outcomes