AnsweredAssumed Answered

At wit's end with "file cannot be created"

Question asked by smith7180 on May 3, 2018
Latest reply on May 27, 2018 by philmodjunk

I have a solution that is currently in use by hundreds of different users across most platforms (Mac 10.11, 10.12, 10.13 - Windows 10 64 bit, FMGO) hosted on FileMaker server via Windows Server 2016, 2012, and OSX.  The one commonality is the latest version of FileMaker Pro 16 and the latest version of FileMaker Server 16.

Like most solutions, I have my "Save as PDF" scripts.  Some save to desktop.  Some save to Temp for moving to a container, viewing, emailing, etc...

I've never had any issues with these scripts- until now.  One single user is getting the dreaded:

"Could not be created on this disk.  Use a different name, make more room on the disk, unlock it or use a different disk". 

Every other user at their office (all on macs, and all on the same network) is able to save PDF's normally. 

This single user is never able to save any PDF via script, but can always save via the "Save as PDF" button on the taskbar.

I've checked and re-checked all the usual suspects (OS update, font extensions, disk space, invalid file names, virtual machines creating naming conflicts, temp path issues, re-installation of FileMaker, re-installation of Acrobat, etc...).  All the while in the back of my head I'm thinking- "Something's wrong with this particular computer.  We'll exhaust all our options and end up resetting OSX to factory settings."

Except now it's happening on a second Mac at this particular client's office.  All the other computers at their office and on the same network have 0 issues creating a PDF.

I will finally have a chance to login remotely to the affected machine this weekend, and am hoping to get as many ideas as possible from the community with regards to what to test.  The client does not want to factory reset this particular machine, but they are super reasonable and nice and will go along with that if I can't find the issue.

Any ideas/theories on what to troubleshoot would be greatly appreciated.

Outcomes