AnsweredAssumed Answered

FMServer / High Sierra / APFS / Backups / Hard Links / All the problems

Question asked by BrynBehrenshausen on May 8, 2018
Latest reply on May 11, 2018 by wimdecorte

Over the weekend I rebuilt our FileMaker Server (2010 Mac Pro)

- New SSDs for boot, data, backups

- Moved to High Sierra

After getting everything back up and running, I thought I'd see in an increased speed in backup time but they have actually increased. I've also realized that I'm not able to retain as many backups as I was previously. The reason I suspect is that it appears hard linking isn't working on the backup drives.

The boot / data drive is APFS (High Sierra), but the backup drives (2x SSD [progressive/hourly], 2x HDD [daily/weekend backups]) are Mac OS Extended (Journaled). I would expect hard linking to continue to work on the backup drives, but it's not. And I guess that's why the hourly backups are taking so long to complete, because it's writing all 200GB of our database info each time (we have a lot of container files) instead of doing hard links. It's also only able to keep 3 copies on the 1TB SSD so it's deleting a full copy first. I've had to change the schedule to bi-hourly otherwise it's just running continuously.

Is this the expected behavior with FMS16 installed on High Sierra? If so, I'm going to have to spend another weekend re-building back to Sierra to get hard linking working again.

Outcomes