AnsweredAssumed Answered

Need help with design challenge

Question asked by DomMolloy on May 17, 2018
Latest reply on May 17, 2018 by philmodjunk

I have a layout with a portal showing one field and 10 rows from a related table.  Let's call this the Selection portal.

Let's say the field contains the name of a person.

I'd like to offer the user the option of clicking on one of the names/rows in the portal and the rest of the person's profile record content would be exposed on the same layout next the portal.

Here's what I have tried so far:

1)  Popover button - added this and it worked fine but one of the fields on the persons's profile record is also a portal exposing a related set of records. Let's say these are bicycles owned by the person. I could not get the popover screen to accept a portal.

2) I wrote a script that located the record from the Selection portal and created a new "Card" screen on top of the main layout. Also worked fine in that the selected profile appeared in the "Card" layout but I could not shift focus back to the main layout to select another person without closing the Card window. Tried the Select Screen step but got an error "3 Command is unavailable (for example wrong OS or wrong mode)."

3) I tried to add another portal to the main layout showing only one row and filtered to match the key of the person selected from the Selection portal but this showed no rows. I tried to refresh the profile portal but no joy.

I can keep going for another ten or so years using the "trial all error" approach but perhaps someone smarter and better looking than me can tell me how to do this.

Outcomes