AnsweredAssumed Answered

Container fields (External Open) protection?

Question asked by ChrisJohnston on May 27, 2018
Latest reply on May 27, 2018 by philmodjunk

In a test solution, I wanted to try something out. I duplicated the file and reopened it from the same location. I forgot that I set up the containers with an External Open option. For this reason, when I cleared my copied solution (removed all records), it deleted all of the (in this case) pictures in my container fields. The second I did it I realized what I had done. I knew I would be missing the pictures in the original solutions. I did not want to do this. When I checked, for sure, the pictures were all deleted. In this case, like I said it was only a test solution, I do not need to recover this.

I have solutions that are very vital to my business. I also have important solutions I have built for clients. On these solutions, I always do some form of backup of the FileMaker file and every dependent folder. I am aware of how to do this so that when you migrate a solution configured with container fields set up with External Open options, it opens the same way in a new place. However, seeing this accident has prompted me to ask; Is there any way to protect from this? To be clear, if you wanted to clone a solution in its same folder and take advantage of the External Open file structure, but then delete some of the records. Would that always result in deleting the stored files and leave them missing in the solutions it is cloned from? Thanks

Outcomes