AnsweredAssumed Answered

Need help with tracking student grades

Question asked by handler123 on May 29, 2018
Latest reply on May 29, 2018 by handler123

I am very new to FileMaker Pro and I am just self-taught by watching Lynda, so please be gentle with explanations.

I need help with figuring out an easier way to track student grades for students who are currently failing their classes. Grades for every class are checked by me every 2 weeks (we are a small college with only 25 classes that all students take).

Currently, I have one layout for every class that looks like the below image. The header contains the name of the class and the body is the same for every class. I have it set up so that the student will only appear in the layout if they are failing a particular class.

Screen Shot 2018-05-24 at 3.50.26 PM.png

My database contains fields for every class and the grade (GPA) at weeks 2, 4, 6, and 8. This means I have 100 different fields just to track grades. Below is an example of the field names for 3 classes.

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 8.55.30 AM.png

Not sure if this is helpful info, but each quarter, a student could theoretically be failing all the classes they are taking. So, the way I have it set up right now, they would appear on as many layouts as they are failing classes. I also have a button set up so that at the end of the quarter, I can reset all grades to nothing to show they aren't failing anything. And then the process starts again the new quarter.

So, my questions are:

1. Is there any easier way to do this so I don't have 100 fields to track grades?

2. Is there a way to have one separate layout to see ALL the grades for every class?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Outcomes