tomt

FileMaker Pro discontinued - why?

Discussion created by tomt on May 31, 2018
Latest reply on Jun 19, 2018 by TimAnderson

As of FMP 17 only the Pro Advanced version is available. The price is high: EURO 576 vs. Pro until now 349. An increase of 227 EURO or 65% for single users! Why should anybody pay for features they never ever in a

lifetime will need?

Background: Since 25 years I'm developing business solutions for small to medium large companies, which I deliver with a FM runtime. As their business grows most of them buy (or used to buy) Pro licences to be able to work on the same database on 2, 3, 4, 5 workstations or more with FM server. They have absolutely no benefit from an Advanced version as they know nothing about developing a database solution (and also all altering possibilities are disabled).

The increased price for the only one available Advanced licence makes it more difficult to me to sell my solutions. And for FileMaker Inc to sell licences. So why?

And please:  Don't ever give up the "depreciated" runtime feature! Ist would destroy my business model completely and I would never buy updates anymore regardless of whatever future features might bring.

I'm sure, I'm not the only one with these considerations. Think of that!

Outcomes