AnsweredAssumed Answered

FLT and a remote install

Question asked by philmodjunk on May 31, 2018
Latest reply on Jun 1, 2018 by philmodjunk

One of my clients has FLT FileMaker 16. They've opened up a "satellite location" where the plan was to install a standalone install of FileMaker for the limited use that they currently need.

But it has occurred to me, that if I set up a connection to the server used by their main location, they should be able to just use the FLT install that they already have. I've seen how opening a local file can trigger a dialog asking the user to select a file from the server and then they are good to go on the local file without actually opening the hosted file.

So if I set up port forwarding for the current server, what are the minimum ports that need to be open and forwarded? (all of them just as though we are really going to link up as a client of the server hosted files or just specific ports?)

And are there any road blocks to doing this of which I'm unaware?

(If we find that it works more smoothly, I can set them up with an opener file that connects to a hosted file over the WAN even though they don't need to upload/download any data to/from the server at this time.)

Outcomes