AnsweredAssumed Answered

Portal entry to create multiple records

Question asked by antoinedurr on Jun 6, 2018
Latest reply on Jun 6, 2018 by philmodjunk

Hi,

First time posting here, been working with FMP on and off since version 7 or so (more off than on!).  My question is: is there a way to have a newly added portal row create more than one record, or a secondary record in a different table?  Here is my scenario.

I'm developing an itinerary solution which has tables for flights, hotel stays, car rentals, etc., plus one table that holds the travellers, plus a table called 'Events' that joins all the above.  In the flights layout, you add a new record for a flight, and then bind this flight with the passengers that are on it.  This is a portal into the Events table, and so far it's working great.  I add flights, hotel stays, etc.  The Events table basically holds foreign keys for traveller, e.g. fkFlights, fkHotelStays, etc.  To generate an itinerary I just filter the Events table by the desired TravellerId and presto, I have a list of events belonging to the traveller's itinerary.

Where I need help is the following: a flight has basically two event components: departure, and arrival.  The Flights record contains both (plus origin/destination airport codes, departure times, etc.).  But my Events table only receives one record: the departure time.  How do I get the arrival time into my itinerary?  Should the addition of a record into the Events table generate two records, and if so, how would they get deleted if we decide to put the passenger on a different flight?

Or are there different/better approaches, such as having another table with all secondary events, i.e. arrivals, car returns, hotel checkouts?  To complicate things, a flight might have multiple stops with ground time in between (vs. a flight that just has a connection).  With multiple stops, each subsequent arrival and departure would be a secondary event.  The key thing, though, is that all the secondary events are defined by the primary event's record.  The goal is to have the itinerary say:

Depart Los Angeles flight UA-12345 LAX/BOS 11:34am

Arrive Boston 7:45pm

I've thought of just line wrapping, but one capability required is to generate list of who's arriving when, thus it seems a separate record is important.

If you made it this far, thanks in advance for any suggestions.

-- Antoine

Outcomes