AnsweredAssumed Answered

How can I get display an indefinite number of headings using a portal?

Question asked by BrianWoods on Jun 8, 2018
Latest reply on Jun 9, 2018 by BrianWoods

Hi, I'm building an electronic gradebook and I've been struggling with how to approach this. Seems like I've looked at this from every which way, yet the best I've come up with still seems rather kludgy.  So I'm hoping someone can suggest a better approach.

The two constraints that are just killing me is that Filemaker: 1) doesn't provide angling text in angles other than 90 degrees, and 2) doesn't allow horizontal scrolling in portals.

With a portal in FM I could list an unlimited number of students in vertical fashion.  For class assignments, however, I'd be limited by the amount horizontal space I have.  So the greatest number of assignments (or headings) I could have would be about 10-20 unless I think of something creative.

Realize that in a school year there are about 180 school days. As an elementary teacher, I'll be grading at least one assignment per day. So I'll need to find a way to store many, many more assignments. Below is a quick mock-up designed to accommodate 500 assignments: (5) tab controls with (10) tabs...each tab would display a different group of assignments (1-10, 11-20, 21-30, etc).  And the various tab controls would show/hide based on the user's selection from the orange pull-down menu.

That's 50 portals, folks...all on the same layout.  And having so many elements on a single layout would likely slow things down to a crawl.  So I'm investigating alternatives. My first thought is to have a similar look but placing each portal on a separate layout but using faux tabs for navigation (i.e. button bars). Does that seem doable?  Might there be hiccups in terms of reporting when I break up what should otherwise be a single portal?  Are there potentially other downsides to this approach?  Lastly, is there a better way I might be able to accomplish this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

Outcomes