AnsweredAssumed Answered

Batch add/include records to "loan"?

Question asked by leslie@ricenorthwestmuseum.org on Jun 21, 2018
Latest reply on Jun 22, 2018 by philmodjunk

I am a filemaker beginner working with a db someone else set up initially and trying to understand and modify their existing framework, so I may be missing some details, but here's the scoop:

This is a museum catalog database. We want to be able to keep a record of loans (when objects are loaned out or temporarily moved within the building). We have a table and a layout for objects with fields for the various attributes of those objects. We also have a loan table and a loan layout with a portal showing objects associated with that loan. For example, I can create a new record in the loan table and associate five objects with that loan.

The problem comes with the way in which I have to associate items in the loan. The db setup requires I go to the object layout and manually enter the loan record number in another portal setup. Note: the object table does not have a field for "Loan Number", and I don't quite understand how the relationship behind the portal on the object layout works. Regardless, this workflow is functional but extremely time-consuming for loans with large numbers of objects.

I would like to be able to select a range of object records and add them to a loan as a batch. Is this a job for a script? Or something else? I have full admin access to edit the db structure if necessary.

Please note, I am NOT trying to create new records through a portal interface. I am trying to associate existing records with a loan. Thanks!

Outcomes