AnsweredAssumed Answered

Base64Encode: works differently under macOS

Question asked by planteg on Jun 21, 2018
Latest reply on Jun 22, 2018 by fmpdude

Hi all,

is it possible that one would get a different result running Base64Encode on macOS vs Windows ? Yes I know looks like a crazy question.

I work on a project where a PDF in a container is transferred to another application (not FileMaker) in order to display it. In that other application, the received data is decoded and the displayed in an html viewer.

I first made a test by creating a small FileMaker app running on Windows, where I added a Container and a Text Box. I added a PDF file in the container and then encoded the PDF in the text box: I used Base64Encode which uses RFC2045 . I copied the contents of the Text Box into a .txt file.

Then in the other app, I read the contents of the txt file, decoded it and displayed it in a html viewer. Worked perfectly.

As a second test, the encoded data was gathered by a query to a FileMaker database shared on FMS. In the other application I decoded the the data and . .  got a message stating that the PDF file may not display correctly.

For that second test, the (real) FileMaker database was modified by another person that uses a mac. Since there was an issue, I inspected the data returned. The encode data was made of chunks of 76 characters as expected, but sepated by a 'space' instead of CR+LF. I asked him to instead call Base64EncodeRFC - clever FMI ! - and to specify 2045 as the RFC number. But again chunks separators were 'space'.

What could explain that the separator is not used in any RFC schema for base64 ?

Thanks

Outcomes