AnsweredAssumed Answered

How do I create an ever present user notification icon

Question asked by joshuaw07 on Jun 22, 2018
Latest reply on Jun 28, 2018 by joshuaw07

I want to create a notification icon that signifies pending notifications unique only to the user. This icon will display in the upper left hand corner of the user's nav bar as seen in fig.1 (dashboard nav).

Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 8.05.33 AM.png

I am able to get this icon functioning for the user's dashboard. By that I mean the icon will display the accurate number of total pending notifications unique to the user. In this example we see 14.

Things begin to fall apart when the user navigates to a client's record. For example lets say the user needs to retrieve a piece of data from a client's profile. The user clicks on the "clients" nav item which prompts them to select a client.

Upon selecting a client's record, the icon is present. However, the icon no longer displays the accurate number of total pending notifications for the user.  As seen in figure 2 & 3 (record nav) notice how the icon displays the number of pending notifications per record.

So, fig 2 is displaying 2 notifications associated with record id:285

While fig 3 is displaying 12 notifications associated with record id:1

Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 8.10.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 8.14.16 AM.png

SUMMARY:

We have about 20 active users. Each user will have a set of notifications they will need to process for each client record. The total number of user notifications need to follow the user in a nav bar no matter which layout they navigate to.

I can display the total number of notifications unique to each user on their personalized dashboard. However, once the user navigates to layouts other than the dashboard, the icon only displays notifications associated with record.

In the example above the user has a total of 14 notifications, which can be accessed from the dashboard. However, when accessing client record id:1 we see 12 of the user's notices associated with record id:1. Likewise, when accessing client record id:285 we see 2 of the user's notices associated with record id:285

Outcomes