AnsweredAssumed Answered

Runnning two copies of FileMaker 17 on the same machine

Question asked by JohnDCCIU on Jul 5, 2018
Latest reply on Jul 12, 2018 by FileKraft

As an in-house developer, I've always installed both FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Pro Advanced on my machine.  I then run FileMaker Pro Advanced and do the development in there while logged in with a privileged account, and run FileMaker Pro logged in as a user-type account for an instant view and testing platform as I make changes.

This worked great up until v17, when there are no longer multiple applications:  it's all Advanced.

I tried installing them in different directories and that worked, but even when I rename the app, it still shows up as Advanced in the menubar.  I tried the old trick of changing the info.plist to make it say "FileMaker Pro" in the menu so I could distinguish the two easily, but after a reboot I get a codesign crash, presumably because I modifed the executable.  I tried various codesign commands and spctl commands to either override or make an exception for it, but I didn't find anything that resolved the problem.

Has anyone figured out how to run two copies of FileMaker 17 on the same box and easily distinguish between the two?

Outcomes