AnsweredAssumed Answered

Hidden button bar segment objects can be referenced without error

Question asked by imarc on Jul 9, 2018
Latest reply on Jul 9, 2018 by ThierryGuemboura

I'm trying to determine in a script whether a button bar segment is hidden or not, without redundantly using the same hide calculation that is on the segment itself. It seems logical that I should be able to reference these layout objects and receive an error if they do not exist on the layout, but to my surprise:

1. GetLayoutObjectAttribute ( "buttonbarObjectName" ; "containedObjects" ) returns all segment object names, whether hidden or not
  2. Go to Object script step referencing a hidden, named button bar segment does not return error 116 (Layout object is missing) as it would when used on other types of objects, or any error code. A Go to Object step on a visible button bar segment works as expected: it makes it the active segment.

Since neither of these work, it appears there must have been a conscious decision not to keep track of this information. Is there any other way to find out whether a segment is visible? Can I go to a named button bar segment and determine via script whether that segment is the active segment?

Outcomes