AnsweredAssumed Answered

Create Database from Sample

Question asked by yanxing on Jul 10, 2018
Latest reply on Jul 12, 2018 by philmodjunk

Hi, every talented people, I am a starter user, please forgive me.

I have a starter question which however I know it may sounds simple, but it means a lot to me.

I run a small crafts studio. I need to create an inventory and contacts database for ourselves and our clients.

I tried to create my first database from the Sample on the starter page where I noticed there was a nice sample called INVENTORY, so I did start from there. In the meanwhile, I'm confused what do I need to do for next, if I'd need to create another database for CONTACTS which I'd have to close my "INVENTORY" and start to create another "CONTACTS" file, then I will have 2 files. OR I should just create the contacts table in the INVENTORY file which I've been working on?

So here's the question. From my learning classes, I learned to build the relationships should base on the different table but from the same file. The confusion is, if I build two different files then I would not able to manage their relationships across the different files. So I'm confused about why FileMaker starter page designed in this way, I "assume" maybe FM just wants to encourage the beginners like me to start from ONE priority database (for instance INVENTORY), then continue to build the other tables/contents in the same file? Thanks for your clarification.

Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 11.15.08 PM.png

Outcomes