AnsweredAssumed Answered

Help! Data Structure of QVI Database

Question asked by baldewicz on Jul 24, 2018
Latest reply on Jul 24, 2018 by fmpdude

This is a long one, thank you in advance for reading.

I have to build a database to track our gauge measurements that our taken on a visual measurement system.  We have about 30 different gauges that range from 10 measurements to 150 measurements.  The data starts as a .txt document that is comma separated.

Every time we receive a batch of gauges we measure a % of the batch to verify they are within our tolerances.

For example we are going to verify 10 Gauges, the gauges would be labeled as 1 to 10 and Measured on the front side then repeated for the reverse side.  This will produce 2 TXT files, where the gauge in both files are in the same order.

Data Format:

ProgramName, Date

Measurement1, Measured, Expected, Upper Limit, Lower Limit, Difference

MeasurementX,  Measured, Expected, Upper Limit, Lower Limit, Difference

BLANK LINE

ProgramName, Date

Measurement1, Measured, Expected, Upper Limit, Lower Limit, Difference

MeasurementX,  Measured, Expected, Upper Limit, Lower Limit, Difference

I am starting from scratch so the sky's the limit with data structure and tools.  I'm at a loss at how this makes the most since to organize the data.

I will Need to compare measurements:

• within the front side (Measurement 1 to 5)
  • between the directions Gauge 1 Front Measurement 1 to Gauge 2 Reverse Measurement 1.)
  • Measurement 1 for all gauges measured in batch (single side (front or reverse)
    • Standard Dev
    • Average
    • 3 Sigma
  • I will also need the ability for make a few fairly simple graphs (line graph with the difference of each Measurement 1 for all the gauges in the batch).
  • The ability to compare batches based on batch date and by direction

I'm ok at scripting the imports, filtering out the blank lines/ProgramName/Date that should not be left in the Gauge Lines.  Its more just where to start.

I know there will need to be a Batch Table, and a gauge line table.  Do I need a gauge/direction table or should front/reverse be separate batches? Should each gauge type get its own set of tables, or would it be better to specify in the batch what type of Gauge you are working with.

If your still with me thank you so much for reading!

Sandy

EDIT:

Deffinitions

Batch-a production run of our product
Front- The is measuring the top side of the gaugeReverse- the gauge is flipped 180 degrees and is measured on the back side

Direction-Field which specifies if the gauge has been measured on the front or reverse

Outcomes