AnsweredAssumed Answered

FMS 17: Windows server-side URL for the Temporary Folder

Question asked by edwardlscott on Jul 31, 2018
Latest reply on Aug 2, 2018 by edwardlscott

My solution utilizes an iPad remotely connected to a hosted file.  Until now, the iPad has produced a PDF to its temporary folder, then used the "Insert File" command to put it in a container field in the "Members" table.

Originally the database ran on a local Mac Mini and shared the file with the iPad, and the iPad stored the PDF in the container field on the local Mac Mini host within a second or two.

The client is complaining that it now takes too long for the iPad to store the PDF to the FMS host.  I have moved the database to a FileMaker Server at a hosting company and it is running on FMS 17 on a Windows server.

I rewrote the part of the iPad button-script that produces the PDF and stores it to use a server-side sub-script (PSOS).  The "Insert File" command is not available on-server, so I am attempting to use the "Insert from URL" command instead on the server.  When I try to run my newly modified script(s) by clicking the button on the iPad, the server-side "Insert from URL" command is returning error 1626, "Protocol is not supported".  I am assuming I need to configure my "Insert from URL" command with the correct Windows file-protocol URL (pointing at the temporary folder) for the command to work.

What I tried was to simply use the same variable used in my "Save Records as PDF" that successfully puts my named PDF in the server-side temporary folder - but that is causing the "Insert from URL" step to produce the 1626 error.

I see an example in the FileMaker documentation for a Windows file protocol URL as such:

filewin://SalesComputer/SharedVolume/ExcelFiles/test.xlsx

Russia, if you can hear me, suggestions on how to formulate the correct URL file protocol to use would probably be greatly rewarded by our media.

Thanks in advance,
Ed

Outcomes