AnsweredAssumed Answered

Is this a good method for loading Variables?

Question asked by wedgeman on Aug 1, 2018
Latest reply on Aug 2, 2018 by wedgeman

I've got 3 or 4 related tables, and need to carry a handful of variables into a script, which needs to hop around various tables (creating reports, adjusting report lists, etc).

These include items such as report list name, report type, and various categories.

I don't see the value in adding 4 or 5 additional fields to the table just for a one-time entry.

So I'm wondering if this is a terrible idea:

1. create a single table...   say tempfield1 ->  _tf1

2. drop it on a layout or popup as an entry field used at the point of loading the script.

3. it shows a field name based on a variable

4. when an entry is made into it (say it shows a value list base on the step in the popup), it has a script trigger which:

Sets $$Variable to it

clears that field

sets the fieldname variable to the next item needed

5. rinse and repeat, until all needed $$variables are loaded in the engine, then perform.....

The value (in my mind):

1. can't do global field (numerous simultaneous users could stomp on each other)

2. adding 5 or 6 fields for a 'one time use' seems a bit resource-wasteful (i'm already pushing 40 ish fields for most tables) - would rather not grow that another 10-20% per table...

3. doing this as global variables loads them for the user but doesn't impact other users, and there is no 'performance hit' to the db...

Is this a bad idea?

or...is there a better way to do this?

Outcomes