AnsweredAssumed Answered

FMS17 Admin Console: "Service Unavailable" and "Error 503"

Question asked by DavidThorp on Aug 3, 2018
Latest reply on Aug 9, 2018 by DavidThorp

Trying to open the FMS17 Admin Console. Nearly every other day or so I get this:

Service Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Additionally, a 503 Service Unavailable error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

And then I can't get back into the admin console again until I reinstall FMS.  Once or twice just reinstalling java worked but that hasn't worked the last two times.   Then it works for a while and then this message comes back again the next day or some other time later.

This is happening pretty consistently on two separate FileMaker Server installations I have.  When it happens it does so whether connecting from the same machine (localhost/...) or another machine (eg. 10.0.1.240/...).

It may or may not be related, but sometimes when I don't get the above, I instead get either "can't connect to the server" or "can't establish a secure connection to the server" depending on whether I'm trying to use http or https, respectively.

#1: 2017 15" MacBook Pro maxed out (3.1GHz i7/16GB/2TB)

#2: 2014 11" MacBook Air (1.4GHz i5/4GB/128GB)

both running macOS 10.13.6 and FileMaker Server 17.0.2

I wouldn't say it's happening consistently because it sometimes works, so it's intermittent, but I'd say it's very regularly/very often, not just a rare occurrence. It might be that it happens immediately after a restart.  I'm not sure about previous occurrences, but that seems to be what triggered it just now on the MBP.  If it's not that then it's something else fairly regular.  I haven't yet had it last more than a day or two at a time before this occurs, despite using it (and repeatedly having to reinstall) over the last 2-3 weeks.

Other info:

• The files are hosted and can be reached by FMPA via "Open Remote..."
  • The command line (fmsadmin) responds properly to most commands (haven't tried all) but start or restart adminserver gives "Error: 10007 (Requested object does not exist)".
  • Not sure if this matters, but the processes running (viewed in Activity Viewer) are: fmserver_helperd, fmsased, fmsib, fmslogtrimmer, fmserverd.  If memory serves me correctly these are the same processes as when everything is working.  I don't recall any missing ones.
  • I understand one shouldn't use FMS with any java other than the one installed with FMS (in this case Java 8 update 171).  On one occasion I thought maybe reinstalling java instead of the entire thing, might be a quicker solution and it was at first, except that [a] I couldn't find 171 anywhere on the java website to download since the latest as of a couple of weeks ago is 181, so I tried with that just for the hell of it, and it did bring the Admin Console back without having to reinstall everything, but [b] the issue still recurred within a day or two after that, and [c] subsequent attempts to recover with java installation instead of full FMS installation haven't worked.
  • Each time I've done the reinstall (of java or FMS) I've completely uninstalled every version of java currently there first, using the instructions on java.com for doing so which appear to be more thorough in fact than the instructions provided by FM for that.
  • Before the last two times this occurred I was uninstalling FMS before reinstalling just by running the uninstaller and then uninstalling java.  The last two times I've very carefully and thoroughly performed every step in this article:  https://support.filemaker.com/s/answerview?anum=000025757&language=en_US.  If it was because of gremlins sticking around that weren't properly removed the previous times, that shouldn't be the case these last two times.

One more thing... Console log has a whole lot of entries saying:

2018-08-02 04:52:43.480 -0500

Information

Starting Admin Server process...

2018-08-02 04:52:43.511 -0500

Error   

Admin Server process has terminated abnormally.

2018-08-02 04:53:48.195 -0500

Information

2018-08-02 04:53:48.226 -0500

Error   

2018-08-02 04:54:53.266 -0500

Information

2018-08-02 04:54:53.298 -0500

Error   

I understand that the Admin Server drives the Admin Console among other things, so if it's not running then Admin Console won't work.  It seems that's the issue.  FMS is trying to start the Admin Server, but it immediately (within 50 microseconds) terminates "abnormally" after trying to start.  So it would seem the issue comes down to that in a nutshell.

It may be that restarting the machine is what somehow causes this.  I haven't been able to pin it down to anything specific, but it was immediately after a restart just now that the issue recurred this last time.

One other thing of note, if it matters.  I suspect it might.  Normally when FMS is installed three processes are started up automatically when the computer starts up:  fmserver_helperd, fmslogtrimmer, fmsib.  The last couple of restarts this has not been the case.  ie. those processes aren't starting automatically during computer startup.  If I start fmserver_helperd manually in terminal (with sudo -u fmserver -b /Library/FileMaker\ Server/Database\ Server/bin/fmserver_helperd ) then it starts, and automatically starts the other two.  But I'm guessing this isn't a coincidence?  Those processes not starting automatically and the Admin Server process terminating abnormally - could these issues be related?  And either way, why isn't fmserver_helperd starting itself automatically?

Yes, a lot of detail there.  I'd appreciate any help fixing this (either at my end or in FMS if it's some bug).  Thanks in advance to anyone who chimes in.

PS. I'd previously posted an earlier version of this as a Discussion topic here: FMS17 Admin Console: "Service Unavailable" and "Error 503".  But with no resolution there, now posting here as a Product Issue.

Outcomes