Why do I keep getting this message (FMP17 OS X Client, FMS 17WS 2018 host) - after a 30 second wait
This is an intermittent problem
When I open it from the hosts dialog it opens in a few seconds:
Did you mean windows server 2016? I'm not sure there ever was a 2018, and 2019 is the next version, but FileMaker isn't supported on that yet.
Your second screenshot is just a white square.
Is "calmed.fmp12" being accessed from a different file? If so the reference may be off. You mentioned you can open it directly via hosts, so what method of opening it is having the problem?
Are you on a mac laptop? If so is your wifi switching between two networks? When's the last time you rebooted your computer. Is FileMaker 17 updated to 17.0.2?
Are you using a DNS address or an IP address to connect to that host? SSL certificate installed?
Possible causes I've seen for that error:
- File is closed on the host
- File was removed from the host (not likely since you said intermittent)
- Intermittent internet connectivity, or just internet being down (host and client side)
- Firewall/router blocking port 5003 somewhere along the route between client and server
- Competing DNS (EG a local hosts file on the client is routing the traffic to a different server than the global DNS)
- Antivirus is blocking filemaker pro (client side)
- File has an invalid reference to another file (If File A is opening File B, then it needs a correct reference to that file under File > Manage > External Data Sources).
Retrieving data ...