AnsweredAssumed Answered

Performing nested finds easily and efficiently?

Question asked by richpo on Aug 6, 2018
Latest reply on Aug 7, 2018 by bigtom

Hello, Everyone! I am new to FM having only been using it for about 2 months now. I've done some smaller things and have used this forum a lot to help answer questions as I venture into this new realm of development so thank you to all who contribute your experience to help others. I am now working on a "real" application with teeth and am stumped as to how to proceed. Thus I post...

I am working on a warehouse inventory application. In short we have warehouses with locations with products. People have to go around each warehouse each day (for certain items) to make a count of product. So each day they create new InventoryItem records which show which products are in which locations in which warehouse and the amount of said product.

I'm trying to generate a report in which the product count for today is compared to the count for previous day it was counted. It is easy enough to perform a find and build a found set of all InventoryItems that were entered today and use script calls to iterate over that found set. But what I then need to do for every product in this found set is find it's matching InventoryItem from yesterday so that I can then compare today's count to yesterday's count (delta count). And then once I have iterated over the entire found set I can generate a report display the delta count for all products that were counted today.

Any ideas from you experts out there? I can think of a complicated way to do it but since y'all know all the tools much better than I, I'm sure there's an easier way to do this. I'm also thinking that as I process all of this date that I'm probably going to have to save the results in another table for storage purposes to display later? And if so, once the user is done with today's count, do I just delete all these records since I don't want to take up resources from data that's not going to be used after today?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide!

Outcomes