oregondean

Filemaker Cloud - Network performance, M5 or C4 instances

Discussion created by oregondean on Aug 8, 2018
Latest reply on Aug 9, 2018 by anand_vaghela

I'm trying to be financially prudent whole maximizing performance on a  FMS Cloud BYOL configuration. 

I've just bumped my AWS instance to t2.large for right around $70/mo (BYOL). A careful look at the AWS EC2 comparison data here shows I need to bump to M5 or C4 to get "High" network performance.  T2 is only "low to moderate" network performance.  

M5.large and C5d.large are essentially the same price as t2.large, still use EBS, are faster CPUs and offer higher network performance.

It seems to me we need the fastest access to data (SSD/disk) as possible.  Can someone confirm that is what the higher network performance implies?

As a workaround, is it possible to launch an M4.xlarge  instance in the FMS Admin Console, then go to the AWS console, stop the image, change it to a M5.large instant and restart?  Or does that upset the licensing I think Filemaker does behind the scenes with AWS?  I also believe we need to enable enhanced nvme networking.

Amazon said this in their M5 announcement last fall:

Today we are taking the next step forward with the launch of our new M5 instances. These instances benefit from our commitment to continued innovation and offer even better price-performance than their predecessors. Based on Custom Intel® Xeon® Platinum 8175M series processors running at 2.5 GHz, the M5 instances are designed for highly demanding workloads and will deliver 14% better price/performance than the M4 instances on a per-core basis. Applications that use the AVX-512 instructions will crank out twice as many FLOPS per core. We’ve also added a new size at the high-end, giving you even more options.

Better CPU and networking for the same price ... that sounds good to me!

Please upvote these two requests to get this higher up on FileMaker's radar:

FileMaker Cloud AWS C5 Instances

FM Cloud Support for New AWS Instances (M5)

Outcomes