AnsweredAssumed Answered

One table or two?

Question asked by Eldberg on Aug 9, 2018
Latest reply on Aug 13, 2018 by davidhead

I manage a database containing information about graves in our cemetery. Every record represents a person buried there, with various info and the number of the grave. There can be several people buried in one grave (same number). There are also empty graves which have a number but no record.

Now we are making an inventory of the physical graves. A person walks around with a map of the cemetery and takes photos of every grave, with the number written on a small whiteboard so we know which grave is in the photo. Along with the pictures there will be information about the physical gravesite. This means we now need a database with one record for every grave.

This information needs to be accessible from the database containing records of people. Or vice versa. But it would be a waste of space to copy it into the persons database; the same info would then need to appear in several records of persons.

I've thought of creating some sort of relational database here. Can anyone give me some advice please?

Outcomes