jbrown

PostScript for JavaScript for FileMaker Devs Training Session

Discussion created by jbrown Expert on Aug 13, 2018

Hi all.

I want to thank everyone who came to the JS training session at DevCon. That was my first time doing a training session for three hours (though not my first time teaching for that long). I labored quite awhile to find the right way to teach JS in such a short time.

I think we learned something in that class. The room was full, laptops were out, and internet (eventually) flowed as we learned some JS and some integrations.

It's heartening to see so many of us interested in JavaScript. We see that it is worthy of our time, and it can enhance our custom apps, bringing in charts and lists and other user-experience & data-viewing tools. At least one FMI person was in there and noticed your willingness to learn JS.

One attendee, after just about an hour, was able to put a C3 chart in his custom app. He had no previous experience, and produced this:

Screen Shot 2018-08-09 at 1.17.48 PM.jpeg

(he gave me permission to use this).

If you haven't, please fill out the survey to let us know what to do for next year. I've already gotten some great feedback (more time on integrations) and, if I'm able to do it next year, revise the session for just that.

However, we don't have to wait until next year. If you've not done so, please join the FM-JS Slack group. On a weekly basis, I'll post more videos, more helpful points, and other thoughts to keep the discussion of JS going. I've got a video on DataTables integration that I'll post there today since another attendee worked during the week to get that integrated into their app.

I will post some materials in the training spot, but they're rather useless as we did a "I do / We do / You do" approach. But you can look at the materials we put together for the session and see if they make sense. I will post videos in the SLACK group and at www.geistinteractive.com for each exercise in the JSPlayground file.

Anyway. Thanks all. Thanks for your interest in JavaScript. I'm glad the community is gearing up to use the powerful and simple language in our FileMaker development.

jb

Outcomes