I am having trouble giving development timeframes when asked to build something. My boss will say "I need X, how long will that take to build". I am frequently left guessing, is there a rule of thumb etc. that may help me?
My current task is an expansion of a current project, we have taken on a new work stream and it is to incorporated into a current app we have built.
Since this is a new work stream i propose adding it as its own table, this will then require:
- A new table to be created on server and remotely.
- Minimum 4 additional layouts on server ( with scripts, script triggers etc.)
- Minimum 6 new layouts on the remote app.
- Associated scripting to allow job to be progressed.
- A few changes/additions to the sync scripting to incorporate the new data.
How long of a time frame should i be giving roughly? I don't want to say too short and end up stuck for time but i also do not want to say too long either if it won't take that.
I will be allowing 1 week at the end for testing.