AnsweredAssumed Answered

Importing the old database

Question asked by max1390 on Aug 17, 2018
Latest reply on Aug 17, 2018 by Mike_Mitchell

Hi everyone! I really need your help here. Since 2010 I was working in the Access, and built a database in order to store and access information easily and from every place with an internet connection. In the begging it was a custom website, afterwards I used SharePoint to access the information easily. At some point I left the project, and was working on some other stuff, and after a few trips I came back to this project with new thoughts and was continuously asking to transfer everything and use filemaker. Unfortunately no-one listened and one day, when we had over 40 000 records, we found out that the only source of data was the SharePoint, as someone by mistake copied all the backed up data and stopped the backup.

Finally I got green light to transfer everything to Filemaker, but now, after building new solution I have a problem with importing all records. The only two files I have are an accdb file, the old database with the data, and excel file out of it. I do know how to import everything and match the fields, but the only problem that I have now - I can't import data into two tables. I have one table with the main information and one with the supporting and unfortunately there is no matching information between them. From what I understood, in Filemaker it works with the primary and foreign connection. But, of course, I don't have anything similar in the excel file. The only solution I thought about is to add an ID number to each record from the main table and something similar to the supporting one. Import it into the main table first, and after, upload the same info in the supporting table and match them with an update records option. Under the main record table, there could be 10 or 20 supporting records, so this seems to me as an issue as well.

I would be very glad to get any suggestions from you!

Outcomes