Product and version (e.g. FileMaker Pro 14.0.3) FileMaker Pro Advanced 188.8.131.52
OS and version MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6
Browser and version (for WebDirect only)
If the cursor is in the QuickFind box (the thing in the status toolbar) and the Paste menu item has been customized to use a script that includes the Paste script step, or just uses that step by itself, the Paste fails, and a bizarre error message might be displayed.
How to replicate
1. Customize the Edit menu so that Paste uses a custom action. That custom action is Paste. (You don't need to create a script since it's just a single action.) For the pasting options: uncheck "select entire contents", check "paste without style", and do not specify a field.
2. Paste some formatted text into a field. You'll see it's pasted without formatting, as expected.
3. Paste something (doesn't matter if it's formatted or not) into the QuickFind space in the status toolbar.
4. Observe a bizarre error message "This button requires that a field be active. Press Tab or click in a field to make a field active."
5. Once you dismiss the error message, observe that QuickFind is no longer active (as though you clicked out of it).
6. I just want to point out that the expected/desired result here is that Paste should work. I'm not just complaining about the phrasing of the error message.
1. Create a script with a single script step, Paste. This time, uncheck all three options.
2. Customize the Edit menu so that Paste uses a custom action. The custom action is the script you created in step 1.
3. Paste some formatted text into a field. It's pasted with formatting, as expected.
4. Paste something into the QuickFind space in the status toolbar.
5. There's no error message, and QuickFind remains active, but nothing happens. It's as though you didn't do anything at all.
Workaround (if any)