AnsweredAssumed Answered

Adding a new record from search, record not found

Question asked by rcschroeder on Aug 20, 2018
Latest reply on Aug 22, 2018 by philmodjunk

Here is what I am trying to do:

1 - First I enter data that can exist in one of two fields. I am doing this using a global field and a quick find. This seems to work fine. It populates the layout when it finds a record if one of two fields has the entered data. It needs to be done this way because there is no way to know ahead of time which of the two fields might contain the correct data.

2 - If the the search result is negative, then due to the way the records are created, the data in the global field can only belong to one field in the layout

3 - I want to create a new record using the data that is in the global field to populate that one field, that is, it should create a new record with that field populated and then let me fill in the rest of the fields and commit the record.

4 - I thought this would be simple, but obviously I am missing something important about how to create this procedure.

I have spent an extraordinary  amount of time trying to figure this out to no avail. If someone can help me i will appreciate it more than I can tell you.

Outcomes