AnsweredAssumed Answered

Recommendations for Primary FM Development machine

Question asked by wmloving on Sep 5, 2018
Latest reply on Sep 5, 2018 by bigtom

My primary FM development machine is a late 2009 27" iMac (2.8Ghz i7 Quad-core 12GB RAM/256GB SSD with second large monitor). This machine was top of the line at the time and has held up quite well. Geekbench 4 SC/MC scores are 2724/8365. I mostly work at my desk but do have a very old Duo-Core laptop that is heavy and slow but with an SSD is sufficient for my needs for the moment.

I'm thinking about whether to buy a new Mac but when I look at the current offerings, I'm underwhelmed by the performance specs. The current mid-range iMacs are, even after nine years, only about 2X the speed of my current machine and the mid-range MacBook Pros are less that 2X. I know I could spend a lot more and get an iMac Pro or a high end MBP, but the increase in performance seems incremental compared to my current machine, much less than I would expect after 9 years of technology change. For example, an 8-core iMac i7 4.2 Ghz SC/MC Geekbench score is  5016/30524, less twice my current machine.

As far as I know, the only score with looking at with respect to FM Pro is the Single-Core processing. According to the FMI engineers I spoke with at DevCon, additional cores have no real advantage for Pro. So, while additional cores mean that other apps running in the background can use those cores, increasing the general feel of the system, it doesn't seem like I'm going to get all that much better performance with a new machine.

My current open app load includes: FMPA 17, Safari or Chrome, Messages, Mail, Evernote, Skype, Preview, WhatsApp, and iTunes. Background apps include: DropBox, TextExpander, Hocus Focus, QuicKeys, OwnCloud, Alfred, BuddyPop. Additional apps often include Photos (35,000 images in Library, which often seems to cause a large hit to performance), ARD, MS Remote Desktop, GoToMeeting and GoToAssist, Terminal, etc. But I generally quit out of these when I no longer need them.

Comments and/or recommendations? Stick with my current machine a while longer? I know there may be new iMacs next week but it's still looks incremental performance-wise...

Outcomes