mleering

FM17 Crashing In Script Workspace OnMouseOver Complex Set Variable Steps

Discussion created by mleering on Sep 11, 2018
Latest reply on Sep 13, 2018 by TSGal

Problem Description

I commonly run into a problem with Script Workspace crashing FileMaker Pro immediately.

It typically happens when I hover my mouse over a complex Set Variable script step that is too large to display on screen.

Expected Behaviour

I expect in this circumstance, that I would see a tooltip that shows the contents of the complex script step formula that I had just hovered over.

Actual Outcome

FileMaker Pro crashes immediately

No error messages

No error log is added to Windows' Event Viewer

My environment

FileMaker Pro 17 Advanced (17.0.2.205)

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (10.0.17134)

Things I've Tried

Copy/Pasting offending scripts into a new file - new file still suffers same problem

Reproducing the problem on a different machine - other machine experiences same problem

Reproducing the problem on an earlier version of FileMaker Pro (version 16 shows tooltip instead of crashing)

Wrap-Up

This bug is causing me to lose lots of work, and I'm also worried that it could be compromising the integrity of my files since they are not being shut down properly.  Please look into this issue.  In order to help assist with this, I've made a short video demonstrating how the file and application crash. (ScriptWorkspace Crashing in RememberAndRestore - YouTube).  I will also provide the file used in that video so that you can try to reproduce this problem

Outcomes