AnsweredAssumed Answered

Using ODBC

Question asked by TKnTexas55 on Sep 21, 2018
Latest reply on Sep 21, 2018 by beverly

I want to thank everyone that has helped me troubleshoot my efforts on connecting to my Accounting software data.  Most of what I view on the Community board is people developing solutions for some task or another.  And, I have done this as well. 

Prior practices were to use the Great Plains' 'smart-list' to pull data down into Excel.  Multiple queries from different smart-list would have to be done.  Then use v-lookups to connect the data.  Extensive copy/paste processes. 

The GP Admin uses Crystal Reports.  In effort to learn Crystal I duplicated a report I do in FileMaker.  It is my reconciliation of our accrued payables (part of processing purchase order invoices).  I created the report, but the GL table does not have the actual PO number.  It does have a field that can be linked to identify.  My query of the GL was correct.  After linking the other table to get the PO my query of the GL was wrong.  I spoke to the GP Admin, "yeah that happens".  It does not in FileMaker. 

FileMaker Pro is great for ad hoc analytical work.  My boss has been given the task to 'reconcile' the drop-ship inventory account.  Ideally it is zero (with timing differences).  Everything ordered for our customers should be billed out to the customer.  We are finding exceptions.  There are tens of thousands of transactions to sift through. 

I just wanted to share that, and to thank the experts who guided me.

Outcomes