AnsweredAssumed Answered

AutoEnter Calculation based on another field being edited

Question asked by johnbuckingham on Oct 5, 2018
Latest reply on Oct 5, 2018 by johnbuckingham

I'm wanting to dynamically recalculate fields, based on whether another field has been edited. In this particular case, it is to do with a Tax calculation.

For example, with three fields, 'nett', 'rate' & 'gross'; when the nett value is modified, I'd like the gross to recalculate as nett * ( 1 + rate). When the gross is edited, I'd like the nett to auto-recalculate as gross / ( 1 + rate).

From the dim and distant past, probably at least 15 years ago, I recall using an auto-enter calculation along the lines of gross = 'if ( nett ; nett * ( 1 + rate) ; gross )' where the 'if ( nett' element of the auto-enter detected that the nett field was being edited and so recalculated the gross.

The method did not rely on script triggers, or using 'get (activeFieldName)' etc, if I recall correctly. I could make it work using one of other of those techniques, but what was so attractive about the method was that it worked at a low level - even in a portal.

I often use the 'if ( field ;' calculation to detect if a particular field has been edited and update a 'trace' field as to who, when and what for debugging, and it works just fine - but I can't seem to make it do what I want in this case.

Any assistance will be gratefully received

Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!

JB

Outcomes