AnsweredAssumed Answered

Best practices for an "Edit" session

Question asked by marme78 on Oct 6, 2018
Latest reply on Oct 10, 2018 by KurtBleicken

In order to avoid unwanted or easy editing into any record, I would like to prevent users from being able to modify records on Browse mode, unless they explicitly click on an “Edit” button that opens a new window with the current record in a dedicated layout for editing. We could call it a sort of “Edit” mode.

Here I would like users to make their edits and save them only when they click on a “Save” button. They should also be able to revert back to the original data through a “Revert” button.

My understanding is that I should implement scripts with a combination of “Open Record”, “Commit Records” and “Revert Record” steps, as well as other related commands, but I’m not sure on the best recipe to mix such ingredients.

Moreover, I wold like the same method to be implemented not only in Form view, but also in List view. In certain situations, it would make sense for an “Edit" session to encompass several records at the same time and avoid asking the user to ave pending edits each time it switches from one record to another.

Any insight into best practice techniques would be very appreciated. Thank you.

Outcomes