AnsweredAssumed Answered

FileMaker 17 User Licensing Explanation needed

Question asked by jdevans on Oct 12, 2018
Latest reply on Oct 15, 2018 by Jason Wood

I'm getting what I think is either not-fully explained or conflicting explanations of the new FileMaker 17 User licensing. I need to get a solid understanding of it before making the switch/purchase.

In the past with the licensing we agreed to with FM Inc, all we had to worry about was 1-license-per-install. Period.

If we had one license per install, we knew we'd never have an issue, and we never have.

Now they are saying all you have to do is count your users, and that's all that matters. But I posed a question to my sales rep and their answer had me thinking that maybe that's not all there is to it.

I asked, what if I buy 30 User licenses, but each user has a Microsoft Surface Pro for wireless use, and a desktop Windows machine in their office? On our solution, each user is encouraged to log on at their desk in the morning and leave it up most of the day because much of our work is documented in this single solution. But then, sometimes work dictates that they get up and go to the lab for some process, and there they take their surface pro, and log on again from it or possibly from some other shared desktop computer. In a worst case scenario, there could be 60 devices logged into the solution but only 30 users. How is this counted for FileMaker 17 User Licensing? One person says 60, another says 30. I just need to know.

Outcomes