AnsweredAssumed Answered

Remote container files hidden in backup folder

Question asked by mislav on Oct 15, 2018
Latest reply on Oct 18, 2018 by mislav

I'm dealing with an issue where many, but not all, externally-stored container files are getting marked as hidden in the backups created by FileMaker Server.

Just to see that the files are there, I have to disable the "Hide protected operating system files" Folder Options setting in File Explorer. When I right-click on one of these files and select Properties, the "Hidden" file attribute is checked.

I found just one forum post that mentions this issue, but without any replies that comment on or explain the behavior: https://community.filemaker.com/thread/184328.

I am able to clear the H (hidden) and S (system) attributes in all of the backups with this DOS command:

attrib -H -S . /S /D

And then confirm that there are no more hidden files with this PowerShell command:

ls -r -h

But then when the next backup is taken, some of the files are marked as hidden again.

I don't know that this causes a big problem, but it makes me nervous. If we ever have to revert to one of these backups, we'll have to remember to clear the hidden system attributes from the files. That's not such a big deal, but still it would be nice if it worked properly.

Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Environment:

• Product: FileMaker Server 16.0.4.406
  • OS: Windows Sever 2016 Standard - VM running on Hyper-V

Outcomes