user27280

Starting a FileMaker business

Discussion created by user27280 on Oct 16, 2018
Latest reply on Oct 19, 2018 by jmedema

Hi,

I've been using FileMaker mainly for my own purposes for a number of years now. I'm an IT Consultant working for myself offering services across most areas of IT to small - medium sized organisations in the east of the UK.  I have been in the IT industry for 29 years. My passion now is FileMaker and I am booked to take my certification exam(V17) in December this year.

Looking at the UK list of partners the area I am in is pretty empty - this is the UK coverage according to the Find a Partner search on Filemaker.com:

Screenshot 2018-10-16 at 12.27.23.png

Plenty of partners but in my geographic area - not so much:

Screenshot 2018-10-16 at 12.28.01.png

I live in Kingston Upon Hull (Hull on the map).  Hull is a city with a population of around 250K with a reach of around 500K in the surrounding area.  Some idea of scale is that Hull - Lincoln is a 1.5 - 2 hour journey dependant on traffic.

I'm looking for advice on how to get started, tips on networking groups, how to attract businesses, whether it is worth the investment in FBA, what approaches you take and what works for you?

Unfortunately I am unable to attend the FileMaker conference this month as we are also foster carers and have therapy training this month.

Any advice, guidance really appreciated.

Outcomes