AnsweredAssumed Answered

Is Filemaker the BEST program for an in-house Creative Services Dept.?

Question asked by perrya on Oct 28, 2018
Latest reply on Oct 29, 2018 by PeterDoern

I manage a 2-man in-house graphic design office (myself + one designer) for a food package printing company. We work on multiple print projects and both use desktop Mac’s and have access to a dedicated Art Dept. server. We also handle purchasing of printing plates from 4-5 different tradeshops.

Every project is assigned a job “assets” folder in which we keep job specs., notes, schedules, quotes, technical press information, etc.  Unfortunately, all of that data is hand written on paper forms. We have over 20 years worth of files stuffed into eight, four-drawer file cabinets in a back room.

It’s about time we started saving this information digitally! Ya think!?

My purpose for joining this blog was to ask IF FILEMAKER would be the BEST PROGRAM of choice to start collecting all that information? We’re graphic artists, not programmers or IT people. I’ve looked at a few other database systems, but I don’t really know where I’m going with more research than necessary. Our data fields would include information like: job numbers, job names, product sizes, paper stock/size, plate types and outside tradeshop cost estimates, number of colors, approval dates, due dates, final invoices. Many of those fields would have multiple choices as drop down menus.

I really think Filemaker is the best choice, but, I hope to hear from some other sources that would help support the $360 yearly expense. I’d like to jump from right here into a Filemaker proposal mode and ask management to authorize the purchase.

Thank you.

Perry Anderson
Art Director

Outcomes