AnsweredAssumed Answered

Multiple "Auto" Searches Feeding into Fields?

Question asked by iamstazmatix on Nov 3, 2018
Latest reply on Nov 4, 2018 by iamstazmatix

Pretty novice to File maker so I'm not sure how to accurately name what I'm trying to do, so I'll walk through the process.

I work in a production/manufacturing (wire drawing) environment that uses File maker in a series of clunky databases. I'm trying to improve our processes by compiling the data on which steps of the processes have been completed, and what is still remaining.

When we begin a step (in this case a draw), we create a record for each time we string up a machine and run it. We enter a few different pieces of information, but the ones I'll need to use are

Date

Traveler # - This is a two part number, one with a prefix that tells you what type of wire it is, as well as a second number that is just a unique identifier for that particular spool. Example: 1-1, 1-2, 1-3 are all the same type of wire, just different documents/spools. 1-1, 2-4, 3-4 would be three different types of wire.

Step FInished

Pounds

The database I want to create will need to continually summarize how much wire (lbs) has been processed at each particular step for the current month every time a record is created. The problem I'm having is that I have no idea how to run a continuous search, only a search that is started when clicking a button. Maybe a search isn't even what I'm needing to do.

I would like to have:

Traveler Prefix - Step Finished - Total lbs processed in the current month.

If I had this data continually updating, I could then use it to determine what is still needed for the month. It would need to be an exact match for the traveler prefix AND the ending wire size in the current month, and then add the lbs from those results into one figure. Ideally, I'd like to be able to change the traveler prefix or Ending Wire Size field and have the results automatically update, but if I would need to manually change a script, that's not the end of the world. (And eventually I'd like to be able to determine how many lbs are needed per day based on work days between current date and due date, but that could be a different topic).

Example:

Date

DateTravelerStepWeight (lbs)
11/1/18100-122.0
11/1/18200-314.5
11/1/18200-412.0
11/1/18100-1031.0
11/2/18100-221.0
11/2/18200-213.0
11/2/18100-912.0

|

What I want the results to basically feed into:

TravelerStep Total lbs

So my question here is: Where do I begin? If there are other threads I can refer to, certain tutorials, etc, that would benefit me on this subject I'd love to dive into them. Problem is, I don't even know what to search for. Any help would be tremendously appreciated.

Outcomes