AnsweredAssumed Answered

Filemaker Server 17 crashes with parallel REST api upload into externally stored Container Field

Question asked by awchrist on Nov 17, 2018
Latest reply on Dec 3, 2018 by TSGal

Product:        Filemaker Server 17 17.0.2.203

OS:               Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Standard 10.0.14393 build 14393

Hardware:     Dell PowerEdge R620

2x Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2660 0 @ 2.20GHz, 2200 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)

192 GB RAM

1.45 TB SSD Drive for OS and solutions

930 GB SSD Drive for progressive and backups

Description:

Our current solution utilizes container fields with the secure storage setting for externally stored container data. We upload thousands of images into our solution at a time. To circumvent the known bug reported

here Why does IIS anonymous authentication slow down import records?

we are attempting to use the REST api to push all of our images into our solution.

Uploading each image in serial is a bit on the slow side so we decided to parallelize the operation.

With 2 or more REST api upload to container field communications the Filemaker server software                                    stops and disconnects all users. At this point I have witnessed a manual stop and start of the filemaker                          server service to a complete restart of the server to get any solutions hosting again.

Once the container field has external storage disabled I am able to upload to the container field without                          any limitations (20 concurrent connections tested to date).

I have a video of this behaviour that I will posted to youtube and link to this thread after the server IP                              address and other identifying information has been censored.

Update: After further stress testing with the external storage disabled for the container field the Filemaker server service can still crash. 20 concurrent uploads completes about 50% of the time without crashing. 8 concurrent uploads seems to be working 100% of the time. 

Outcomes