FileMaker Pro Advanced 17 and several previous versions
Mac OS 10.14.1
Here is how to make this happen:
- Be in layout mode with a desire to add a field to the layout, a field that does not yet exist
- Drag a copy of an existing field, then choose SPECIFY FIELD with right click or the menu command.
- Click the little icon in the lower right corner of the Specify field dialog
- Add the new field to the table, click OK
- then in the Specify field dialog, SELECT the the new field you just created.
- when you then click OK, you will expect to see your new field on the layout, but instead you see the field you originally clicked on.
- Then you have to specify the field again.
- The only workaround is to always drag an "empty" field from the status bar instead of making a copy of an existing field, which is more of a nuisance because then you have to apply all the style, hide, font, color, padding and conditional format properties that would otherwise be retained by your making a copy of an existing field.