AnsweredAssumed Answered

Modifier keys not recognized by script

Question asked by richardsrussell on Dec 4, 2018
Latest reply on Dec 5, 2018 by TobiasLiebhartKoschierSE

A bunch of my buttons are set up to do one action normally but a slightly different one (usually an exaggeration of the main action) if a modifier key is being held down when the button is clicked. And up till now they've worked just fine.

However, last week one of my clients started experiencing a puzzling failure of the script to recognize that a modifier key was in effect. I edited a few of the affected scripts to capture the modifier-key value in a variable right at the top, but it made no difference.

The odd thing is that every other computer on the LAN still works as usual: modifier keys do what they're supposed to. Same deal for me when I log in from my place.

I had my client log in as himself on one of his employee's computers, and he didn't encounter the problem there, so it's apparently not user-specific.

Then we swapped out his wireless keyboard for a wired one, but the problem persisted.

The shift key does what it's supposed to do when doing plain typing, namely produce capital letters instead of lower-case ones, so it's not a faulty key. (Same test for option, ctrl, and command keys produced identical results).

So it's just this one computer, and only for recognizing modifier keys in scripts, where the problem is occurring.

My client didn't remember anything specific he changed a week ago that might be causing this glitch.

Anybody have a clue what it might be?

Oh, Macintoshes all around, running the pre-Mojave version of the MacOS and FMP 17.

Outcomes