AnsweredAssumed Answered

Combining Same Fields in Found Set

Question asked by johnvincennes on Dec 5, 2018
Latest reply on Dec 8, 2018 by comment

Hello Filemakers,

I’m new to the software and I’m having trouble with combining all the same fields in a found set.

Is there a simple way to do this? Preferably without creating additional fields or using exports?

I have a Quotations database with some poems split up into verses with some textual commentary added but I want to create a new entry and combine the QUOTE fields (and other fields) in a found set to get the full poem.

e.g.

RECORD 1

AUTHOR: big Willy

TITLE: sonnet XLI

VERSE: 1

QUOTE: Those petty wrongs that liberty commits, When I am sometime absent from thy heart, Thy beauty and thy years full well befits, For still temptation follows where thou art.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECORD 2

AUTHOR: big Willy

VERSE: 2

QUOTE: Gentle thou art and therefore to be won,

Beauteous thou art, therefore to be assailed; And when a woman woos, what woman's son Will sourly leave her till she have prevailed?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECORD 3

AUTHOR: big willy

VERSE: 3

QUOTE: Ay me! but yet thou mightest my seat forbear, And chide thy beauty and thy straying youth, Who lead thee in their riot even there Where thou art forced to break a twofold truth, Hers by thy beauty tempting her to thee, Thine, by thy beauty being false to me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

added together =

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECORD 4

AUTHOR: big willy

VERSE: 1 2 3

QUOTE:

Those petty wrongs that liberty commits, When I am sometime absent from thy heart, Thy beauty and thy years full well befits, For still temptation follows where thou art.

Gentle thou art and therefore to be won,

Beauteous thou art, therefore to be assailed; And when a woman woos, what woman's son Will sourly leave her till she have prevailed?

Ay me! but yet thou mightest my seat forbear, And chide thy beauty and thy straying youth, Who lead thee in their riot even there Where thou art forced to break a twofold truth, Hers by thy beauty tempting her to thee, Thine, by thy beauty being false to me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It’s easy enough to get the found set I want through a search for title or with checkboxes and constrain fouund set, but I can’t figure out what to do next. All records are in order in the found set, so that’s not a problem.

I thought the simplest process would be to create a new entry in the found set and use set field:

- new entry

- Set Field [Table::QUOTE;

….but then what should I do for specify calculation?

I can use multiple GetNthRecords separated by &

but I don’t know how to get the exact number of fields in the found set and then use this to add all the verses together.

To complicate matters, I’d also like to separate the verses by a few paragraph marks. E.g. & "¶¶¶"

To be clear, I’d like to retain all the initial records as well as creating the new combined one.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Outcomes