I was performing a Find/Replace on roughly 38,000 records which was taking roughly an hour before I finally aborted the process. Once aborted I got the spinning beachball which lasted another fifteen minutes before it finally cleared. I then closed the file which was local on my machine, and that took about another five minutes to close.
While I was waiting for the first spinning beach ball, I went into activity monitor and noticed that Filemaker Advanced was using over 14 gigs of memory and figured that was part of the issue. After the database closed, I restarted FMPA, checked the memory usage which was 1.42 gigs. There were roughly 7300 records still needing to be updated which I proceeded to do. As the Find/Replace was running, the memory continued to climb until the process was done and the memory usage was at almost 3.5 gigs and it never cleared after the process was complete.
Seems like a lot of memory usage for this type of process, not to mention that is was slowing down the further it got into the update.
The database was local on my machine which is a 2017 MBP i7 with 16 Gigs of RAM/SSD, running OS 10.13.6 and FMPA 16.05.500.