Programs101

Pass Global Variable (FilePath) for return External Data Source

Discussion created by Programs101 on Dec 6, 2018
Latest reply on Dec 6, 2018 by Programs101

My goal is to have a dynamic External Data Source in File_2 which was opened by relationship from File_1.  I need the External Data Source in File_2 to point back File_1 ... for use in a return relationship.

I want to be able to move File_2 but not have to hard code / update it's External Data Source back to File_1.  ( I am okay with updating File_1's External Data Source to File_2 ).

There is no interface in File_2 so I am NOT opening any window or layout

File_1 is opening File_2 as hidden ... only by relationship appearing on File_1's layout

I can pass the FilePath of File_1 to a global field in File_2 upon launch of File_1

My interface is only in File_1 ... and I am not performing any scripts

I am adding a record to File_2 through a relationship in File_1

I have an auto-enter field in the new record in File_2 capturing a related value from File_1 ... through the return relationship.  I am still working only from File_1 and I do not want to use scripts when creating the record as it is being created by dragging a file into a container field ... so passing parameters is not an option.

If I could set a global variable in File_2 from File_1 ... I could pass the FilePath of File_1 and use it as the External Data Source.  I can pass it to a global field but I cannot use a field value as the External Data Source.  I can run scripts upon launch from File_1 but not from File_2.  I'd really prefer not to run an Open Hidden script upon launch ... I want the relationship to open File_2.

So ... I cannot find a way to set a global variable in File_2 from File_1

Outcomes