AnsweredAssumed Answered

How do I match records between two tables by using the common email address?

Question asked by dbogdan1960 on Dec 10, 2018
Latest reply on Dec 11, 2018 by philmodjunk

I'm trying to match records between two databases by finding the common email address. Both tables have the email address field set as text. I am a novice with scripting, and want to be able to update one table by the updated record in the other. But for some reason, I cannot get the records to match. I believe that the problem lies with the "@" character in the email address, since when I try to find a record by typing in (or pasting in) the complete email address, I can never find the record. If I type in everything to the left (or everything to the right) of the "@" character, I find the record. Is there a straightforward way to enable the complete email address (including the "@" character) to be treated as absolute text, ignoring the use of the "@" character as a search function? I'm frustrated that what would **seem** to be a simple way of matching records has absolutely stumped me. The only option that I have is to use the email address field, as many of my customers sign up without a first name, last name, address, etc. If I can't use the email address as the common relationship, what other options might there be? A customer ID number perhaps? I have 872 records at present and will hopefully be adding dozens more per week. I want to be able to update the customer records via scripting, but I can't get the two records to match by using the email address? Is there something special that I have to do with the fields to accomplish this? Please help!!

Outcomes