BuzzardJunction

Preserving Record Integrity When Complex Changes Occur.

Discussion created by BuzzardJunction on Dec 18, 2018
Latest reply on Dec 18, 2018 by TorstenBernhard

I've got a lot more foresight about things than I used to.  A lot of it is thanks to the contributors on these boards. Nowadays, when I build, I build with the expectation that something could potentially get changed many, many times.  Even when a business owner claims that something is basically carved in stone, chances are it will be obsolete before you can hum the Jeopardy theme.

There's one db I handle, however, where the basic logic of how quoting works is upended so often that it's getting nearly impossible to maintain the integrity of the previous records.  Now, let me explain that I am not talking about superficial things that are easy to do.  This quoting methodology is a complicated engine indeed, and the consistent changes go beyond anything I've seen before.

My question, however is more general than specific to this application.  It's more geared towards good-practice when you're approaching one of THOSE applications.

Have any of you ever been similar situations?  How did you handle it?  What are really good ideas and really bad ideas?

Outcomes