AnsweredAssumed Answered

Can Get ( ActiveSelectionStart ) display dynamically?

Question asked by fmp on Dec 19, 2018
Latest reply on Dec 19, 2018 by fmp

Hi all. I'm trying to understand get functions such as Get ( ActiveSelectionStart ) and Get ( ActiveSelectionSize ).

If I create calculation fields using these Get functions and place them on a layout, they do not dynamically display the info for what I have currently selected.

However, I can set number fields with the correct info if the functions are included in a button script.

If I set $$globals via script and display them as merge fields, they are apparently not retained and are incorrect.

Script triggers such as OnObjectKeystroke seem to operate strangely. Eg, if I insert the cursor at the beginning of the field and keystroke down, ActiveSelectionStart = 1, but ActiveSelectionSize = 0. If I then keystroke down again, the size displays acccurately.

My questions are: 1) Is there a technique that will display these functions dynamically; and 2) Is there an explainer or discussion somewhere for understanding the exact details of how these functions operate: the when, how, why, etc? Thanks!

Outcomes