AnsweredAssumed Answered

I need a better way to manage a huge drop-down list -- please

Question asked by moneypenney on Dec 28, 2018
Latest reply on Dec 29, 2018 by Orlando

I am a very long-term user of FMP, first using it in 1995.  I am currently working in FMP17 but the database I am using to register cars attending motoring events was originally created more than 10 years ago. 

My current issue is that I need a better way to choose relevant data from one of my drop-down lists. 

I currently have 2 fields - "Vehicle Make" and "Vehicle Model".  "Make" is basically manageable = only 40 choices.  However "Model" is currently un-manageable with perhaps more than 200 choices (I have never counted them).  This issue is not so annoying on the computer, but an iPad is used at events and this is where it becomes most annoying.

How can I create a drop-down list (or one of those scrolling wheel thingies) that will only show the "models" for a specific "make" already chosen?  Of course, remembering that it needs to work quickly and efficiently on the iPad.

EG:  If I choose "Ferrari", how can I get it to show only those models made by Ferrari, such as 458, 599, 360, California, etc?

I have tried to work out the instructions for "value list that includes only related field values" that I found on the internet, but I couldn't get it to work.

Outcomes