user10625

"Inverse" ghost connections

Discussion created by user10625 on Jan 10, 2019
Latest reply on Jan 16, 2019 by user10625

Filemaker Server 17

Windows 2016

I've seen the issues posted about ghost connections.  I have a different issue, sort of the opposite.  Instead of single connections that show up more than once, I have an issue with connections that I know are there, but do NOT show up at all in the admin panel.

We have a nightly script routine that runs every night.   This morning I woke up and it hadn't sent me the emails that it usually sends me.   I made some programming changes yesterday that might explain that, but anyway, when I went to the server admin panel, to possibly stop the process, I noticed that the Script Schedule listed the script as "running . . .."  , but the CLIENTS list did NOT show the script running.  I also tried using the command line to look up the list of clients . . . nothing showing there either.   So, I had no way of stopping the script from the server.   I tried disabling the script, but it was still running ( at least it said it was, in the list of schedules, I have no way of knowing for certain.)   I then tried "Stop Database Server", but that didn't work either.

So in the end, I had to brute force stop the FMS service (from Windows "services"), replace the live files with backups, and start things up again.

I then logged in from another machine as normal.  I went back on the Server Admin Panel to check up on something and noticed that even though I was logged in, I wasn't listed in the Clients(!!!)  I had been logged in for a while (maybe a couple of minutes).

I've never noticed this before, but then again, how would I ?   If a user was logged in, but not showing in the clients panel, how would I know that was the case, unless, as this morning, that user happened to be me?

Anyways, this is alarming, since sometimes I need to take the files down for local maintenance.  I noted that a couple of times when I did this a few weeks ago, when I did "Stop Database Server", it just wouldn't do it.  So I stopped the Windows service.  I thought that was fine, because I thought I knew that nobody was logged in, but now I am not sure about whether I can/did really "know" that. 

Is there any way to re-jigger the admin panel so it shows who's logged in and who's not, accurately?  If even the command line was not accurate in this, I'm guessing the answer is no.

Thanks,

Chris

Outcomes